The old Misión San Francisco de Asís acquired its popular name, Mission Dolores, from a small stream that once flowed nearby, Arroyo de Nuestra Señora de los Dolores. It is the oldest building in the city of San Francisco and the only intact mission chapel in the chain of 21 (of which it was the sixth) established under the direction of Franciscan friar Father Junipero Serra. The site was consecrated in 1776, and the chapel was built in 1782-91.



1
Mission Dolores Altar



2
Mission Dolores Cemetery

3
Mission Dolores Chapel



4
Mission Dolores Diorama


External links


Tags

San Francisco Landmarks, Mission Dolores, Religion